Tofu Nut Tots
While these are these are not the most hypo-allergenic dish (containing soy and nuts), they are SO good! Before we went soy-free our kids begged for these, and there is something very reaffirming about your cooking when you can make kids beg for tofu!
1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
2 cups water
4 Tbs. soy sauce
1 lb firm tofu
1 cup almonds, ground
1 cup GFCF bread crumbs
salt (to taste)
oil (to grease cookie sheet)
1) Place the rice and water in a pan, bring to boil, and then reduce to simmering for ~45 min. – until the rice is very soft.
2) Preheat oven to 350, and oil the cookie sheet
3) In a food processor or mixer, blend the soy sauce, 1/2 lb of tofu and 3/4 of the rice into a thick paste.
4) In a bowl, mix the paste (from step 3) with the remaining rice & tofu, almonds, and bread crumbs. Add salt to taste.
5) Roll the mixture into 1″ balls and cook on the cookie sheet for 30 min. @ 350. Eat them while still warm for best compliments!
Adapted from Mollie Katzen’s Enchanted Broccoli Forest Tofu Nut Balls recipe